Thursday, December 6, 2007

Escape by Carolyn Jessop


Wow. This was quite the book. Along my mom and I's theme/obsession this fall with the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints, this book stands out as an incredible story. It is about a woman who eventually left her polygamous husband, and he was a pretty high-up church guy, high up with Warren Jeffs.


This book gives a nasty view into a world where women and children - boys and girls are systematically abused in the name of religion. And Carolyn Jessop's account is so frightenly similar to the other memoirs and books we've read, that I cannot just dismiss her story as a "one-off". There is evil flourshing in those remote FLDS communities, and the states of Utah/Arizona are only recently beginning to do something to protect these citizens (who usually have their own FLDS police and judicial system).


I found this memoir to be well written, interesting, personal and also absolutely haunting. I do think that more people should read this type of book, I had no real idea of what really was going on in these cults and it is not good.


Worth reading, in my humble opinion, but difficult at times: 8.5/10

No comments: