Friday, January 4, 2008

Expecting Adam


I loved this book. In a way it suprises me that I liked it so much, because there is a bit of an emphasis on the supernatural, and that is generally not my cup of tea. However, the writing of this book was just so good, with the author skeptical herself, and so somehow, the whole supernatural stuff was tolerable.
This is a memoir, written by Martha Beck about the time that she was pregnant with her son, Adam. Adam is known to have Down's Syndrome from about her fourth month of a difficult pregnancy. Within her environment (Harvard - both are PhD students) she and her husband receive almost no support for their decision to keep the child. The book basically chronicles her experiences, thoughts and her journey. I found it to be just wonderful, with many insightful thoughts that would apply in any person's life.
Martha's name was familiar to me, and I've since remembered that she writes articles for several magazines (I just read one in "O"), I think they are mostly about parenting, life, humorous stuff. And I just loved her writing style, very engaging, very funny and insightful.
High marks from me and I would recommend it: 9/10

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this one too. And, having had first-hand experience with Down Syndrome, it really hit home. I, too, do not "get" the supernatural stuff, but I think the author was using this technique to express her emotional state and how she resolved her feelings about the situation. Possibly the "voices" she mentions were just her own "inner voice" directing her path. A very readable book, and I am looking forward to the book club discussion of it.
Eileen

Anonymous said...

I too enjoyed the book. Like Eileen, it hit home having a sibling with Down Syndrome. I read the first half of the book in one sitting, I just couldn't stop. I kind of slowed down the second half as the supernatural got to be a little much even for me (whose favorite TV show is Touched by an Angel. I do believe that we all receive "help" from time to time that we cannot readily identify the source of, but this was a bit much. Perhaps you are right Eileen, could be a writing technique. Having said that, it was most enjoyable and I would recommend it as a read. Not sure I would go with a 9 rating, but at least 7.5.
Peggy

Anonymous said...

I'll defintely add this one to my very long "to read" list! Our book club selection (we don't meet in December so will discuss at the end of the month)was one that I didn't think I'd enjoy. However, I really liked it and highly recommend "The Book Thief". (Can't remember the author's name offhand - already sent the book home with Joel who will pass it on to Molly when he is finished.) Strangely, it is a Young Reader selection. The subject matter is dark (wartime in Germany)but the author writes in a very clever fashion and told a good story. I also just finished "The Namesake" and really liked it too. I hear there is a movie by this name so will have to check it out. In the same vein, I just started "The Sari Shop" (your book, Joanne). Not sure why I like these stories concerning the East Indian people so much but I do! Erin and I saw the movie "The Kite Runner" over the holidays and enjoyed it too. I think it was well done and came fairly close to the book (as close as any movie can come). Happy reading! Lorraine

Anonymous said...

P.S. from Lorraine
Watched "The Namesake" last night and would recommend it when you feel like watching a movie. As always, it didn't exactly follow the book but was close and very enjoyable.