Thursday, June 7, 2007

Mangoes and Quince


I bought this from a bargain bin, but with great hopes since it was billed as a "cooking/food" novel, a genre which I love.

Anyway, I'll gladly lend anyone my copy. In fact, the book was pretty weird; the food aspect was a restaurant started by a woman who is abaondoned by her crazy husband (who married her when she was 15). The young daughter's perspective, of course is a big aspect of the novel as she copes with abandonment, the realization that her father actually was into some crazy, ritualistic, transcendent spirituality /sex thing..... The food was not as present as I would have liked, although that picked up in the latter half of the book, and recipes are included at the back....

So...... it was a bargain book....... and it gets a bargain review from me! Others may disagree!

No comments: