Sunday, May 6, 2007

In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant


Another small photo, sigh...
OK, I bought this book with enthusiasm, because I did enjoy "Birth of Venus". I now have a copy that I am happy to lend out with enthusiasm, because I can't wait to hear what anyone else think....
Here's a review from Amazon.ca: I gobbled this novel up. I love the historical facts and the fiction of the times. I love the customs and the intrigue. I loved the main characters and their stories as told by the dwarf Bucino. I can't wait to read the "Birth of Venus".
From "the New Statesman": A rip-roaring tale in which gusty vulgarity and ferocious intelligence go hand in hand.
Bottom line..... Too much "gusty vulgarity" for Joanne, not sure about the ferocious intelligence, and I was very much wondering about the historical fact "accuracy" albeit it is ficition.... she does list a big bibliography. I didn't love it, but I'm waiting for someone else to post their opinion. She is a good writer, and her writing does draw me in.....
I think it is worth a read, if only for your opinion. Easy to read. I'm not a fan.
On to the next one!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard anything too good on this one - don't think I'll read it. I really liked "Birth of Venus" too so this is disappointing. You sometimes wonder if it is the same author when this happens! Lorraine

Joanne said...

Lorraine it is the same author, so therfore the same enjoyable writing style. This one is darker though and more vulgar, by intention.