Sunday, April 22, 2007

Everyman by Philip Roth




This is the one of the 'books about books" I mentioned, the one where the writer decides to read a book a week, then write about it. To be honest, the book isn't very organized, though I'm sure it is quite prosaic.


At any rate, at several points throughout this book, Sara Nelsen says "anything by Philip Roth" or how much she loves Philip Roth, with a seeming assumption that the reader must indeed be familiar with this Mr. Roth. Well, I was not.


A few weeks ago, my aunt, Peggy, came over with a few "extra" books that had arrived from her bookclub, the unsolicited type, and lo and behold, one of these was Philip Roth's latest Everyman. (2006)


So, that's what I read for this week. It was actually a story of illness and decline, then death of an "everyman" kind of guy, a man who lived his life, made mistakes, did not resolve issues with his loved ones and eventually ended his days lonely and scared, and mad about his declining health. So, of course, there are parts in here that resonated for me, even though I could not relate in the slightest to the protagonist, whom I found irritating.


If you read it, I'd say borrow it from the library (or from Peggy). And I'm not sure I'll seek out another Philip Roth book, even though I guess he is a famous guy.... http://orgs.tamu-commerce.edu/rothsoc/bio.htm.


At any rate, I did take one memorable passage from this book, which is wisdom from this man's father: "There's no remaking reality. Just take it as it comes. Hold your ground and take it as it comes. There's no other way" I think I will remember that one.





Cheers all....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your opinion on this one is duly noted! The saying is wonderful and I've saved it. Anxious to hear what you are reading next. I'm still reading "Small Island" and am enjoying it. We have book club tomorrow so I'll let you know our latest selection. Love, Lorraine

Anonymous said...

This online book club is great! I am glad you posted your favorites - I also love 'Light a Penny Candle' and Cry, the Beloved Country. My book club just finished "My Sister's Keeper" and this month we are reading "The Time Traveller's Wife" which I just heard they are making into a movie. I like them both, especially the first. Our next is "Water" - does anyone know about this - apparently it is part of a trilogy.
Thanks for doing this and Happy Reading,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi again! We had a great discussion on "Madonnas of Leningrad" today - pretty well everyone loved the book. Our next selection is "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. Molly did it again as she recommended this one to me awhile back. Kelly - our book club recently did "My Sister's Keeper". I hated "The Time Traveller's Wife"!!! Whenever someone in our club doesn't enjoy a book they compare their dislike to mine in regard to that one. Some in our group loved it so there you go! Don't know anything about "Water" but the ladies were talking up another trilogy today "Josephine B". Lorraine

Joanne said...

IS "Water" what the Deepa Mehta movie was based on? Hindu widows? Excellent movie...... it is a trilogy too, which makes me think it is the same.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think it is the book based on the movie. I can't find the book because I don't know the author! I'll find out at my book club tomorrow.
Also, I just finished another book which I LOVED - Snowflower and the Secret Fan. Mom passed it on to me after she read it - I would highly recommend it!

Anonymous said...

Great quote. I have read some of Philip Roth's other work and never quite bought into the myth or hype.
Thanks for the review.
Darryl