Monday, April 16, 2007

Here is an example


One of the "books about books" is called "The Reading Group" and it is really a story about the women in a book club, more than the books..... anyway, my mom set about to read the books that were featured in the story, and she has done better than me!


However, here is a book I never would have read otherwise: "I capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. It was written in the thirties, was virtually out of print until brought back to life by something (I'm not sure what, maybe Oprah?). At any rate it is enjoyable to read, and easy too. The narrator is a young girl, she reminds me of Anne of Green Gables.....


It is a book I would definitely suggest giving a try!

Cheers fellow readers....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also read "The Reading Group" and have read many of their selections. However, I haven't read "I Capture the Castle" yet. I'll put it on my rather long "to read" list. I'm currently reading one of your Mom's books, "Small Island" by Andrea Levy and am enjoying it so far. Look forward to your next recommendation! Lorraine

Joanne said...

Is that book really called "the Reading Group".... I can't find it anymore!

Anonymous said...

I went to check and realized that I must have read your Mom's copy as I don't have it either - I think that is the right name, though (or very close). I also found your Mom's "I Capture the Castle" on my shelf so guess it was already on my "To Read" list!
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

The book is definitely titled "The Reading Group" (by Elizabeth Noble). And it was your copy, Joanne, that I read (and probably passed on to Lorraine). I think maybe Kelly has it now! Of the twelve books on the list, I read nine. Haven't yet tackled "The Alchemist" (1988, Paulo Coelho)--although I have your copy, Joanne -- or "The Woman Who Walked Into Doors" (1996, Roddy Doyle). I haven't yet been able to find "The Memory Box" (1999, Margaret Forster). There were several wonderful books on this list. Otherwise, I wonder if I would have read "My Antonia" (Willa Cather)--a classic that I had not yet discovered!
Mom

kiminiminy said...

I loved Capture the Castle when I read it in high school.