Monday, February 25, 2008

Amish Grace


Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy by Kraybill, Nolt and Weaver-Zercher.


I asked my friend Janice to send me this book when she was finished with it. About 10 years ago, I went on a little "jag" of Amish reading - novels and a bit of non-fiction (this is something I tend to do farily frequently actually). I think it started when my friend Annette lent me a series that was basically Christian fiction, and then I kept going into other novels and a few academic things. I got quite fascinated with the cultural and spiritual beliefs, which are sometimes really hard to reconcile to an outsider.

So, when this topic arose (follow up to the Amish school shootings) I was interested. And... it was interesting - for about 3-4 chapters...... and then I actually just found it fairly repetetive and not a very good book, considering 3 academic "experts" wrote it. It is very worthwhile knowing about a people who have woven forgiveness (and it seems to be true forgiveness) into the fabric of their lives, faith driven. I do suggest that for all... learn that and ponder it. It just isn't a book.

Particulary when there are meaty challenges along the lines of forgiveness that are (in my op;inion) glossed over, such as practices like shunning and excommunication, which seem so foreign and UNFORGIVING to an outsider, and I cant' say much illumination was to be had there.

I happened to know much of what was presented in terms of the customs and practices and that in fact cannot be grouped together anyway since Amish churces are locally govered to begin with. SO I did not find this book enlightening. And I've read others that improved my regard for these gentle people much more than this book.

So.... even too long a review for TOO LONG of a book............ if you can borrow it, great. Otherwise, not sure.......... 3/10. Not enough meat.

No comments: