Friday, February 22, 2008

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield


This was just a really good story and novel.
In a nutshell, it is about a successful female author in Great Britain, who hires an unknown writer to write her biography. Up until that point the successful author had not allowed any info about her private life to be revealed and in fact makes up many versions, so that there are literally dozens of life stories associated with her.
In fact, her true life was bizarre and quite unexplainable, you'll have to read the book to find out why! Since she tells her life story at a ripe old age, it mostly takes place sometime around the early 1900s although I'm kind of guessing, I probably missed that detail. English mansion, noble and highly unusual family. There is even a ghost story in there, which usually has me out in the cold right there, but it actually fits and is well written into the book.
There's quite a bit of drama in the book, related back to the unknown author's life, a lot of the mysterious bonds of twins..... BUT...... for the most part it is just a really good book. Kind of a mystery, too.
Anyway, I liked it, very readable...... It won't make my top ten books of all time or anything, but in a time when there is so much junk to read, it was nice to have something that was just an interesting story, well written.
My rating - this is hard, but I'd have to rate it high.......... 8/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post as the ladies at our book club speak highly of this one. I trust your reading judgement and theirs as they are all avid readers too. It's on my list!
Lorraine