Sunday, February 17, 2008

Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay


This novel just won the Canadian Giller prize, so it was with much hype (of the CBC variety) that I picked up this novel.
I think it deserved the Giller. Well written. A little weird/unique characters/ lots of plots and subplots within what is a character driven book about life in the Arctic, over a time span of just one year. It is all a little weird, if I describe what happened, but if you just read it, and make your own decisions, I think that is the best. Having read some of the other nominees, this one would still be my favourite so far of the entries.....
Interesting characters, well written, and enough weird and quirky stuff to satisfy the critics I think. Personally, I have not read much about our own Artic, so I enjoyed adding this one to my "list".
Joanne's Rating: 8/10 Very good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was putting off reading this one (based on some reviews) but, with your 8/10 recommendation, I will get to it. I am a big fan of Canadian literature so will likely agree with you! Lorraine