Sunday, February 17, 2008

Maeve Binchy in general, but Victoria Line/Central LIne



Maeve Binchy. One of my favourites for those times, when you really need a light book, but you don't want to be totally insulted either. She is just a good old storyteller, which she also admits freely. Although in her novels, I think she used to do a great job of developing characters, her later stuff is less satisfying in that way.

Now this is an early Maeve Binchy, and not her best, but it was IDEAL HOSPITAL reading. Short storied, each based on a person from a stop on the London "TUBE"..... they do connect up here and there in the end, but in my hospital state, I totally missed it.... I know I caught the somewhat clever connections when I read this whole thing the first (or second time) year and years ago.

I can't rate poor Maeve, the book itself is likley only about a 3-4 but the role it and she have played for me over the years is like one of those VISA commercials: sappy but priceless !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still treasure my collection of Maeve Binchy books on the shelf! However, it almost seems like someone else is writing her books now (based on the last one I read). Anything by her will be at the bottom of my long "to read" list but I wouldn't count her out completely! Sometimes we are just in the mood for a lighter read.
Lorraine